Ask 7 Questions to Banish Negative Thoughts
By Ora Nadrich
We have some 60,000 to 70,000 thoughts a day, and many of them are negative: I can’t do that. I’m not good enough. It’s never going to happen for me. I don’t deserve this. As we embark on a new venture or work toward a new goal, they pop up and wreak havoc on our plans and self-confidence.
Since thoughts create beliefs, which then create behaviors, negative thoughts can undermine us right into a standstill. But there’s a way to stop negative thoughts right in their tracks. All it takes is challenging them with 7 direct questions, starting with: Says Who?
Here are the seven questions we need to ask to disarm those negative thoughts:
- Says Who?Whenever a negative though pops into your head, ask it: Says Who? The question exposes a negative thought for exactly what it is: a doubt that can disrupt your life and damage your sense of well-being.
- Have I heard someone say this thought before?So many of the voices in our head are actually echoes. They’re old words we heard someone else say to us, such as a parent, spouse, or boss. By identifying the originator of the thought, you can find out if it really belongs to you. Many times, it doesn’t.
- Do I like this thought?Go ahead and ask yourself: Is this thought desirable or appealing? If not, then ask yourself: why are you thinking it? If you don’t like what you’re hearing, you don’t have to listen.
- Does this thought make me feel better? Negative thoughts tear us down instead of build us up. They seep into our psyches, wreaking havoc. Ask yourself: Is this thought making you feel better or worse about yourself? If it doesn’t enhance your self-esteem in any way, why are you thinking it?
- Does this thought work for me? Is this thought useful or productive for you? With this question, you can take a look at whether or not a thought supports your desires or goals. If not, why are you thinking it?
- Am I in control of this thought? –Does this thought have any kind of hold or power over you? Or, are you in control of it? If not, ask yourself why you would let a thought have power to control you. Remember, you are the commander of your own thoughts, not the other way around.
- Do I want to keep this thought or let it go?With this question, you’re finding out if you want to hold on to a thought that serves no useful purpose for your well-being. If it’s not doing you any good, it’s probably doing you bad. So let it go.
Make it habit (like brushing your teeth) to ask these questions every day. Soon you will find yourself on the way eliminating the negative thinking that slows you down, and turning those hecklers into your own cheering squad. Then you can get on with your life. You can identify your goals, attain improved inner awareness and realize more fulfillment — in your life, career, and relationships. It all starts with a question: Says Who?
Dr. Jo Anne White is an International bestselling and award winning, author, and has 20+ years of experience helping others reach their full potential. Jo Anne pioneered a program for the Philadelphia school system for children who weren’t allowed to attend public school until a Federal law mandated that every state in US serve these children. More Heaven: Because Every Child is Special is based on the true story of educating these kids and the successes and challenges they faced.
Jo Anne’s other passions led her to pursue; writing, speaking, coaching and helping people find their successful path in life and business. Today, she’s the CEO and Founder of the Power Your Life Network, a broadcasting network, and the Power U Online University, both aimed at helping individuals, families, businesses and professionals grow, soar and succeed. Known globally as the “Success Doc,” Jo Anne’s also the Executive Director and Host of the popular Power Your Life TV & Radio Shows, and CEO/President of Dr. Jo Anne White Consulting Services, LLC.
“We have the capacity to manifest the inner gifts and talents within us to fulfill our own desires and pressing goals, and also help others and make a difference in their lives,” Jo Anne said. “
As her career goals shifted, she became a certified professional coach, lead generation expert, trainer, and image and branding specialist. Jo Anne also became a Therapeutic Energy Healer and was trained in several alternative modalities to enhance her skills and what she could offer to her clients.
She’s been featured online and in national and international media outlets, such as CNN.com, Good Housekeeping, More, and WebMD and made frequent guest appearances on Radio and Television Networks such as NBC, CBS, FOX, and Voice America. Dr. White was named a 2015 Worldwide Branding Top Female Executive for Professional Coaching by Worldwide Who’s Who and is featured in Women of Distinction Magazine in 2016. She’s authored and co-authored numerous books for women, men and businesses as resources for personal, professional and spiritual growth, leadership, success and empowerment. They include Amazon International Bestseller Bully Free, Mastering the Art of Success, JOY, The Self Architect and more. Keys to Conscious Business! Bully Free was awarded a Mom’s Choice Award for Excellence in 2015, and named among the best in family-friendly media, products and services.
Seventy years after the resurrection of Jesus Christ, in a poor, one room home built from stone, mud, and straw located just outside of Jerusalem, a frail old man tells his granddaughter and her husband of an amazing and miraculous secret. A secret that, because of fear, he kept to himself for decades.
When he was an orphaned nine-year old street urchin on a street in Jerusalem, he had an encounter with a “bloody and beaten” man who was being forced to drag a heavy timber cross for His own crucifixion. The old man tells of what he witnessed first-hand of the last forty days Jesus walked the earth.
Douglas Michael MacKinnon, author of The Forty Days: A Vision of Christ’s Lost Weeks. MacKinnon was a speech writer for President Ronald Reagan, President George H.W. Bush, and was also press secretary to former Senator Bob Dole.
In Love, Sex, and Staying Warm, internationally renowned relationship expert and “trouble-fixer” Neil Rosenthal shares practical and actionable strategies to rekindle your flame, strengthen your relationship and bring you and your partner back to the passionate love you once felt.
Each chapter is packed to the brim with the techniques author Neil Rosenthal has developed over his 30 years in private practice and has shared on major media outlets such as ABC, NBC and Fox TV.